This recipe will feed two, but is incredibly easy to double. Note, I am not a spicy food person, you can easily add some red pepper ( a dash or two) if you want your soup to have a little pep.
1 can black beans (.89)
2-3 green onions chopped (.25)
Chicken stalk, enough to barely cover beans (.50)
(grand total $1.64)
- Drain about half the liquid off the beans. Saving a little will make your soup thicker.
- I put the black beans in a sauce pan and then add the chicken stalk, I add enough to cause beans to rise. Sorta like put milk in cereal. If I had to guess I’d say it’s about 1/4 a cup?
- Then I add the scallions and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once it boils I simmer it for about 20 min.
- add a dollop of sour cream and VIOLA! you’re a chef. Okay, not really, but you can pretend.
- You can add an apple, some carrots, Snack people, or a biscuit as a side (.25-.75). Today we are having some of my homemade bread with butter and jam as our side.